The ETU Queensland and NT has thrown its support behind the Victorian ETU’s campaign to reinstate 55 workers sacked from the Abbotsford Carlton United Brewery.
At the direction of CUB, the 55 workers were called to a meeting and informed without prior notice that they were terminated. The workers were then ‘invited’ to reapply for their jobs with a company called Catalyst Recruitment, which is in the Programmed/Skilled Group. The invitation to apply for a job:
- came with no guarantees;
- would be on individual contracts;
- would be covered by a barely compliant non-union EBA;
- would result in in a massive loss of terms and conditions, including an approximate 65% reduction in monetary entitlements.
CUB knew that their greedy money grab actions would not go down well with the workers or the ETU, so it had sneakily pre-organised the engagement of a company called “5 Star Electrical Services” to provide replacement workers, at rates that severely undercut the sacked workers.
So CUB, just like Patricks during the Waterfront dispute, have rid itself of its committed union workers and the hard fought terms and conditions, and have replaced it with a temporary cheap non-union labour force. CUB and Programmed/Skilled are now trying to force the sacked workers to forego their work/life balance and existing hard fought terms and conditions, in order to “maybe” get some form of their job back.
For more background on the dispute visit: https://www.etuvic.com.au/ETUV/Campaigns/CUB_Workers.aspx?WebsiteKey=1b0a2538-a077-444c-9510-24cd5f2f6b39
To show your solidarity with 55 Carlton and United Breweries (CUB) electricians and fitters who were sacked in a pre-meditated vicious attack on terms and conditions you can:
- Visit the peaceful protest at the CUB Abbotsford site, especially for the weekly rally on Thursdays at 12.30pm. Click here for a map of the location.
- Make a donation to support the sacked workers.
To make a donation to the CUB55 Fighting Fund, please deposit funds into the following bank account:
BSB: 063-626 ACCOUNT: 10629111
Description of deposit should be your membership number ETU members) or the name of your workplace/organisation.
- Boycott CUB products, including the following brands:
Victoria Bitter, VB Gold, Carlton Draught, Carlton Mid, Carlton Dry, Carlton Cold, Carlton Black, Cascade Pale Ale, Cascade Stout, Cascade Premium Light, Cascade Draught, Cascade Bitter, Crown Lager, Melbourne Bitter, Pure Blonde, Fosters, Light Ice, Matilda Bay, Redback Beer, Dogbolter, Dark Ale, Alpha Pale Ale, Fat Yak, Lazy Yak, Great Northern Super Crisp, Power’s Gold, Reschs, Grolsch, Pilsner Urquell, Peroni, Miller, Strongbow, Mercury, Bulmers, Redd’s Apple Ale, Abbotsford Invalid Stout, Sheaf Stout
- Post a selfie, drinking non-CUB beer to social media with the hashtag #BoycottCUB
- Sign the petition calling on CUB to reinstate the workers.